Saturday, February 13, 2010

Tyler's Art Work

Reagan's Birthday Plate Cake

I have promised myself that I will do "craft time" with Tyler everyday when he doesn't have school. This week I started with him and we made a few pictures. I was told by my OT friends (thanks Rhonda and Laura) that 3 yr olds SHOULD cut with scissors. Yes, I was the mom always telling Tyler NOT to play/cut with scissors. To my surprise, he did really well. I drew a couple of lines for him to cut out, and he did it. (With his tongue hanging out) Very impressed. The next activity I did was for him to glue Cheerios to a plate. I would make small glue circles and he would have to glue them down. I know, seems easy. But for little fingers, it can be challenging.

Later this week we decided to paint Reagan a birthday cake plate. He loved being able to paint whatever he wanted. This is probably the hardest activity for me. I want to be standing over him making sure he is doing it perfectly. The lesson here is for him to figure it out, not for mommy to figure it out. So hard, I remember having to sit back when I taught and wait for the "ah ha" from my kids at school. Best patience tester EVER!

Here are a few pics of our activities. I love the self portrait. I did ask him what other body parts could he draw. He then proceeded to tell me about his private while pointing down. We concluded the activity then :) Enjoy!

An awesome website to steal ideas from is http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/

The portrait

No comments: